Monday, April 27, 2009

Testimony...

I was asked to give a brief testimony at my daughters' dance recital on Sunday. I was completely out of my comfort zone, as I consider myself a much better writer than public speaker. But I was honored to have the chance to share with hundreds of people, many who don't know the Lord, how He's working in my life. So here it is...


It’s a privilege to speak about the next song the fifth through seventh grade girls will be performing – Praise You in this Storm. I remember at the beginning of the year, Danielle asked me if I thought this song would be too mature for such young souls to appreciate. I told her that though I agreed 10 and 11 year old girls may not have encountered life’s storms yet, the Bible is clear that they will. Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, for I have overcome the world”. And when those storms come, God will no doubt use this song to minister to their hearts. I didn’t realize at the time, that my words would soon ring true in my own life.

A few months ago, my husband and I received the joyous news that we were expecting our 7th baby. But that joy was quickly tempered by the devastating news that I had stage 2 breast cancer. Our storm had come.

Like many people who are blind-sided by a crisis, I became completely paralyzed – paralyzed by stress over the forthcoming medical treatments I’d need to receive; paralyzed by guilt – thinking that there was something I could have done to prevent this infliction and ultimately paralyzed by fear – fear of my future and more importantly, my children’s future. My reaction was not much different than that of the disciples in Mark chapter 4, who were overtaken by squalls while sailing on the open sea:

35That day when evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." 36Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"

The Book of Matthew records the disciples shouting “Lord, save us, we’re going to drown!”.

In the midst of my despair, I too was crying out to God – “Save me, I’m drowning” and like the disciples, at the time, I admittedly thought that maybe God was sleeping or at least not listening to my cries. But thankfully, instead of turning to my own sinful, random thoughts, I turned to God’s truth – the Bible. And I read verses like Psalm 121

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.


God wasn’t sleeping – he never sleeps. He’s the source of my help IF I turn my eyes to Him.

I also camped on this well-known verse from Isaiah 40….

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no-one can fathom. 29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who wait on the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.


The word “wait” in this verse is the strongest Hebrew word for hope and faith. It literally means to weave a rope of His promises. Spending time in His word and meditating over his promises, helps us build that rope to hold on to. And a rope is made for rescuing.

I have a long road of treatment ahead of me - weeks of chemotherapy and radiation, interrupted by the much anticipated birth of our fifth baby girl. Medically speaking, my fight against cancer is still in its infancy . Spiritually speaking however, the battle is won! The day I chose to stop dwelling on my sickness, despair and fear and instead chose to dwell on God’s power, hope, and love – which the Bible says “casts out all fear” - was the day God rescued me. The day I chose to “Praise Him in this Storm”, even without knowing when the crashing waves will stop or the bellowing winds will cease, was the day I gained God’s peace over life’s battle of the unknowns.

Pray with me:
God, your Son Jesus said in Your word, “In this world, you will have trouble, but take heart for I have overcome the world”. And there are some here today who feel like they are drowning and the surging waves of a storm are overtaking them. I don’t know their situation, but You do God. As they scan the horizon looking for that rope of rescue, may they be drawn to the promises of your word “I will never leave you or forsake you”. May they cling to the truth that when we lift our eyes unto the hills, our help comes from you – the maker of heaven and earth.

Some here today Lord, may not be in the midst of the storm, but may see the dark clouds gathering in the distance and know that one is not far off. Give them the courage to praise you when that time comes knowing that your perfect love casts out all fear. That your word promises, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you.”

And ultimately, whether in good times or bad, may you receive all the glory and praise unto your precious name, our savior, Jesus. Amen.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Beautiful testimony, Amy! I'm from The Well Trained Mind and have cancer also. Your blog is an encouragement to me! Keep pressing on, dear Sister in the Lord!

Kim Ahrens said...

I loved this. It is beautiful, and I wish I could have heard you speak these words in person. Thank you for the encouragement you are! You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.