Sunday, March 15, 2009

Perserverance...

Perserverance...that's what God's preparing me for.

It's amazing that when He speaks to us, he does so in such personal, creative, and obvious ways. A few weeks ago, my time with God was spent praying for complete healing from the cancer and protection for our baby while going through the treatments. Those prayers were answered by his still, small voice that reminded me that "Lo, I am the Lord that heals thee."

But as I stand at the threshold of entering a new phase of cancer treatment, I'm seeing more clearly that God does not want me to sit on the sidelines just waiting till I'm cured until I get back in the game. He's telling me to stay in the game and continue to serve him, relying on His strength in times of weakness.

A few weeks ago during church communion, as I'm praying over the elements, I felt His nudging, "Stay outward focused." Not an easy thing to do when you've just announced to the world that you're pregnant with cancer - it seems as if every conversation comes back around to the topic of my health. However, I was reminded that even Jesus, up until He took His last breath, was concerned about the lives of others, "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" Luke 23:34.

God's word was confirmed yesterday by a friend of a friend who 26 years ago fought against breast cancer. Her message to me was to not set all my sights on healing, but to focus on where God has me in the process. And then today this verse leaped off the pages of my bible "Let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us". Hebrews 12:1.

Never in a million years would I have marked out this race for myself, but God in His sovereignty has marked it for me. I think back to my brief but memorable stint in Jr. High Track when the practice coach would lay out a running course for us complete with hurdles, cones and lane changes. The team would watch expectantly as he took great care in strategically placing each cone and hurdle precisely where he thought it would challenge us the most. He marked out our race. In the same way, God himself has laid out this course before me, strategically placing each marker - each hurdle, challenging me to push forward, and coaching me along the way. And I know that at the end of the race I will be rewarded with a prize that surpasses all earthly rewards.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

I am now in the position of choosing my response; will I run the race that God has lovingly marked before me or sit it out on the sidelines, standing idly-by while God's team marches down the field without me.

No comments: